Saturday, October 9, 2010

NY Cupcakery

Custom cakes * Cookies * Confections

2544 Merrick Road

Bellmore, NY 11710

(516) 409-8866

www.newyorkcupcakery.com

Holy mother of yumminess! As many of you know I have a sweet tooth. I never met a cookie I didn’t love (or a cake, or a donut, a muffin, a pastry…you get the idea). So when I had my bridal shower a few weeks ago (thrown by my fabulous friends and family) I was thrilled to see this beauty:

Yeah, it’s a teapot. And yeah, it’s a cake. I’d always wanted an “Ace of Cakes” style custom cake so I was super excited. I was even more excited when I tasted it. I always imagined that cakes that looked this cool probably wouldn’t taste that great but this cake was dynamite!

The bottom layer was vanilla cake layered with vanilla pudding, whipped cream and fresh strawberries. The heavy layer of fondant was removed by most people, but if you could handle the sweetness it was quite yummy! The cake itself was moist but not gooey; it wasn’t crummy, and it wasn’t bland. It was everything you'd want a cake to be. My favorite part about it was the texture; the edges were ever so slightly browned which added a nice contrast to the fluffy inside.

The top layer was mine to take home, and I’m not ashamed to admit that I had my way with it. It was the same moist yellow cake as the bottom layer but the top was filled with a fudgy chocolate that left me drooling. There may or may not have been an open-mouth kiss involved…

I was so impressed with the cake that I went to the bakery to scope out some of their other creations. The shop is pretty small but it’s cute: pink and white and very…“cupcakey.” There are a few small tables if you can’t wait to get home to enjoy your sweets, and to be honest, you might just want to stay for the smell…it’s heavenly.

I bought myself four of the minis which are bite-sized: carrot cake, red velvet cake, Oreo, and peanut butter cup. The carrot cake was the first down the hatch. It was excellent! Very carroty, very yummy. The frosting was very soft and creamy but a little too sweet. The red velvet cake was pretty bland—definitely the least impressive of the bunch. It just didn’t have a strong flavor, and in fact, I tasted the frosting (a little buttery) more than the actual cake. I’d pass on this one if I were you. The Oreo was pretty tasty, though not as chocolatey as I expected it to be. However, I was also expecting a sweetness overload and it was pretty mellow which was a good thing. I was most excited about the peanut butter cup cupcake and oh.em.gee. A chocolate cupcake with fudge, then chocolate frosting, a little dab of peanut butter and two mini peanut butter cups on top. There is a God.


Their prices seem a little high to me, but whatever. It’s worth it. The mini cupcakes are $1.25, medium cupcakes for $2.50 and oversized cupcakes for I don’t know how much…maybe $4 but I don’t remember. I will definitely go here when I need a cake for a party, and it’s definitely worth a stop for a quick treat every once in a while (any more often than that and you’d better amp up your cardio!).

No comments:

Post a Comment