Saturday, September 25, 2010

Barrier Brewing

Barrier Brewing
3595 Lawson Blvd. Unit E
Oceanside, NY 11572
Phone: (516) 316-4429
E-mail: evan@barrierbrewing.com

I have often been called a "beer snob" merely because I have some knowledge of beer, respect it as an adult beverage, and have negative comments to make about the conglomerate companies that change their advertising strategies depending on "what's cool in beer" at the moment (e.g. Miller Lite's brief foray into the emphasis on triple-hop brewing was quickly replaced with male lower-back tattoo commercials). However, if I am visiting someone's house and Budweiser is their beer of choice, I will not turn it down by any means. This is their drink of choice and I respect that. Beer is rarely noted for its social powers, a means of bringing people together to enjoy food, drink, and a few laughs.

Most times, a "tasting session" will require good beers created by good people with good ingredients. With the craft beer boom comes tons of breweries opening producing a sub-par product with a catchy name. In addition, the prices on some of these fairly unknown products often astounds me, for $13 for a six-pack of "Uncle John's Wet Sock I.PA." does not appeal to me especially since I have no idea about the taste nor the brewery. This is why my friends and I were excited to hear about a brewery opening in Oceanside, NY, central to where many of us live and/or have family. Barrier Brewing is seemingly a one-man operation running out of a warehouse district along Lawson Boulevard. The journey there is half of the fun as the last time I went I waited for a friend to follow before I ventured down the dimly-lit, narrow asphalt road; it was like some sort of modern day beer adventure that beats the hell out of pulling into the lot of a distributor. When you arrive at the open garage door, do not let the exterior surroundings fool you; this is a model of cleanliness, hospital-like even, with tons of stainless steel instruments for brewing shining from every corner. Bags of top-notch hops (mostly from the Pacific Northwest) and grains (from the U.K., Germany, Belgium, France, Canada, and the United States) form a bunker in the middle of the floor, announcing to all visitors that this not some sort of backwoods moonshine operation.

I was greeted by Evan, the master brewer, and was happily given the opportunity to sample some beers before I bought. At the time, these beers were available: Ruthless IPA, Belgian1, GreenRoom Pale Ale, Lights Out Stout, Bulkhead Red, and Beech St. Wheat. Being a modest fellow and knowing that this brewery was just getting started (plus I had to drive home), I asked for samples of the Beech St. Wheat and the Lights Out Stout. I was completely blown away by the quality of the beers. The Beech St. Wheat had a terrific aroma of citrus and coriander and this followed through in the flavor. It had a nice mouthfeel, slightly dry, a bit creamy, with strong citrus notes and various spices. It was a nice play on the typical Belgian Wit but with a modern interpretation. I liked the balance of spice to citrus as this can be the downfall of many witbiers as they fall too much into one category. This would be an unbelievable thirst-quencher during the warmer months.

I also sampled (and ended up buying a growler of) the Lights Out Stout. Stouts are one of my favorite styles of beers, so much so that it does not have to be cold out for me to enjoy one. Barrier's stout is a monster, comparable to many of the better American stouts out there now. It had a nice, thick mouthfeel and strong coffee notes without the addition of actual coffee. For me, this is a real mark of quality to be able to extract such a strong coffee flavor without the addition of any flavorings. The roasted, chocolatey nature of the beer is something that I really enjoyed as well as the light alcohol note in the finish. It had a nice balance of bitterness from the hops. This is an easy drinking stout, dare I say a session beer, that I look forward to enjoying more in the cooler months. And there's nothing like a pitch-black stout poured into the correct glass (as this was). I was also able to sample the Bulkhead Red, which was also an excellent interpretation of the style, with a beautiful red hue and a nice, malty sweetness.

On a side note, I was impressed that the website listed three goals or objectives. This might appeal to the educator in me but it gave much validity to the operation. According to the website, the objectives of Barrier Brewing are: 1) to educate the local consumer to the variety and quality available in locally produced craft beer, 2) to create and produce beers of a caliber that cannot and have not been produced elsewhere, and 3) to spread the word of great beer through the creation of great beer. The brewery gives you the opportunity to see the creation process from start to finish, something most of Long Islanders will never be able to see or do (especially that close up). I am glad to hear about the education part as well. There is such a focus in the food world on understanding where our food comes from that this should be applicable to beer as well. To be able to see the process of beer making and then see the beer on tap at a local bar is tremendous. I applaud the brewery for their accessibility and their desire to make the brewery accessible to all.

I am looking forward to sampling more beers in the future and for the price ($10 to $12 for a growler fill), this is quite the deal. Let's remember too that you are getting your growler filled in the same place that it is made - talk about freshness! I read rumors about a possible schwarzbier in the works and a reference to a winter warmer and I am amped! There are some great things being brewed here and it would be worth your time to take a drive over and get a growler or buy a glass or t-shirt!

Notes:

· Visit the brewer webpage here: Barrier Brewing Co. Here you will find a history of the brewery, how the beers are made (very informative), merchandise, and the various beers that are produced.

· The brewery normally does growler fills on Saturdays from 12pm to 4pm. I happened to get my growler filled on Friday night. Check the Barrier Brewing Facebook page for updates on when the growler fill days and times will be for that week. A friend of mine also e-mailed the brewery (evan@barrierbrewing.com) and received a quick reply when asked about fill times. You can even set up a tour of the brewing facility.

· If you like the beers, take a business card and give it to your local distributor, especially if they have taps to fill growlers. Long Island needs more breweries like this! Keep It On Long Island (KIOLI!)

No comments:

Post a Comment